Fresh Produce Discussion Blog

Created by The Packer's National Editor Tom Karst

Tuesday, April 24, 2007

House and Senate Hearings

There are simultaneous Congressional hearings today and I've tuned in both Web casts on my computer, though I can only listen to one at a time. The House Energy and Commerce oversight subcommittee is ongoing as I write this, with testimony from some of the families who have been affected by foodborne illness. Later industry representatives will testify. One GAO representative pointed out that FDA gets 20% of funding while responsible for 80% of food supply. The bias in this hearing, from what I can tell, is for more regulation.

Meanwhile, the Senate Agriculture Committee is also Web casting its hearing, and I see Maureen Marshall of United has already testified. More coverage on these important hearings later in the day.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home