Fresh Produce Discussion Blog

Created by The Packer's National Editor Tom Karst

Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Chat - Tracy Burgess

As Librarian for The Packer, Tracy Burgess touches the produce news of today and yesterday. Among her responsibilities is the regular “Packers’ past” feature and archive requests from readers. Tracy can help readers find photos and articles from The Packer archives and is reachable at tburgess@thepacker.com. I spent about 30 minutes in a keyboard chat with Tracy today, checking out her impressive crimson and blue background and what drew her to historical administration.


10:09 AM Tracy I wanted to ask you about your background, how you came to The Packer and also to give the readers a little window to your world...
First of all, where did you grow up?
10:10 AM tburgess: I grew up in Kansas City, MO. I'm originally from Columbia, MO - that may cost me my Jayhawk credentials, but so be it.
me: What was your first job as a youngster?
10:12 AM tburgess: My first real job was working in a music store - musical instruments and sheet music, that is. I loved it - I had that job until I was a sophmore in college.
10:13 AM me: That does sound pretty ideal - I think my son applied to work at such a job. You mentioned your KU credentials ; why KU and what was your major in college?
10:16 AM tburgess: I'm what they call overeducated. I actually have three degrees - one from Washburn University in Topeka, and two from Univ. of Kansas. I majored in journalism at Washburn. I went back to KU for a BGS in European history about 10 years ago - then carried on to get a masters of historical administration. KU has a great history program - that's mostly why I went there. Basketball had a little influence, too.
10:18 AM me: Too bad about that loss to KSU this year..but enough about basketball. What excites you about your course of study and , by extension, your duties now at The Packer?
10:21 AM tburgess: We can't win them all. Beasley is amazing. He's fun to watch...but I digress. It's kind of hard to describe what it is about history that I like so much. It's probably the reading and the writing. I'm geeky that way - I love research. I get opportunity to do plenty of that here.
The Packer has got a lot of history just hanging about.
10:23 AM me: Very true. Some of it is walking around like me. So how long have you been with The Packer and what is a typical day like for you (also give your title for our readers, if you would)
tburgess: One of these days I'll have to do some kind of oral history with you.
10:27 AM Let's see...a typical day. I'm here in the mornings, so there's a lot to do in a little time. I try to read as many newspapers as possible - I'm always looking for produce or food-related articles. So I spend a good chunk of time every day with my nose pressed to the computer screen or to newsprint.
I also look after the Packer's online article database. I'm responsible for the photo archives, too.
10:28 AM I spend a lot of time looking up articles and information for both reporters and subscribers, too.
10:30 AM me: Can readers contact you for past articles and photos, then?
tburgess: Always. That's my favorite part of the job.
10:31 AM me: Tracy, one last question. What is the latest book you have read?
10:33 AM tburgess: Oh geez...I usually read two or three at once! I just started a book called Thunderstruck - written by the man who wrote Devil and the White City, I forget his name. I finished re-reading Anthony Bourdain's Kitchen Confidential a few days ago. I'm on the waiting list for the new Pollan book...is that still sitting on your desk? I'm also reading Harry Potter with my son.
10:34 AM me: Guilty as charged. I'll bring Pollan's book over to you. Thanks for your time, and readers, you now know where to go for anything you want to know about produce and The Packer! Thanks again, Tracy.
tburgess: Thank you, Tom. This was fun.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home