Fresh Produce Discussion Blog

Created by The Packer's National Editor Tom Karst

Sunday, April 13, 2008

A mother's advice about CSR

From the Corporate Social Responsibility blog at McDonald's. Reminiscent of "everything we needed to know we learned in kindergarten, I guess....

A Mother's Perspective Part II

By Kathleen Bannan, Senior Manager Corporate Social Responsibility, McDonald's
Roughly one year ago, I posted "part one" of what is now officially becoming a series for me, or rather, an annual event, as it would seem
"A Mother's Perspective" comes but once a year.
I have submitted my thoughts on McDonald's & CSR frequently since last April, yet not quite through that "maternal" lens. But I think it's time to take another look at the topic.
As it happens, I've been thinking quite a bit lately about the similarities between the advice/guidance I give my children (pictured here with me on a recent snowy afternoon in Chicago) and the expectations we have of ourselves here at McDonald's.
It brings to mind that book...."Everything I Need to Know I Learned in Kindergarten."
The same attributes that lead to happiness and fulfillment on the personal front are at the core of what it means to be a socially responsible, and in turn financially successful, company.
Let me offer a few examples:
It's not what you say. It's what you do.
Lead with actions, not words.
Take responsibility for your actions & be accountable for your lack thereof.
Consider the consequences of your actions before, and after, you act.
Stay committed to continuously improving yourself.
You never learn anything by talking. Listen, and you will learn.
Be a leader, rather than a follower.
And there are so many more - simple truths that retain their wisdom over time. These are all things my husband and I tell our children over, and over, again. As a socially responsible company, we at McDonald's strive to adhere to these same attributes.
CSR is complicated. Just the term itself is sometimes fraught with confusion. And defining success in this area is tricky. And yet, when it really comes down to it, we can all still refer those simple sentiments - or motherly advice- we have been hearing since childhood.
-Kathleen

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home