Fresh Produce Discussion Blog

Created by The Packer's National Editor Tom Karst

Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Chat - - Pamela Riemenschneider

I have another chat in the books with Pamela Riemenschneider, Packer reporter. She updates her recent work in "Pamela's Kitchen" and "Produce Guru." Pamela also talks about recent travels and an upcoming arrival.....




1:41 PM Thanks Pamela for agreeing to another chat - do you have a little bit of time right now
pwremo: Sure.
1:42 PM me: I understand you have a another interview today for Produce Guru - is that correct?
pwremo: I just wrapped one up about farmers markets.
1:43 PM me: There is quite a bit of interest in farmers markets/homegrown produce ; where was the media from you talked with?
pwremo: Pennsylvania.
1:44 PM me: Are you enjoying your spokesperson role so far? Better than asking questions or not?
1:45 PM pwremo: Actually, it's pretty nerve-wracking. I'm used to being the one in control, I guess. It's hard to make sure that you stay on topic and answer the questions the best way possible for your employer.
I can definitely sympathize with a lot of the people I call.
And, not all reporters are as prepared as I am, if I do say so myself...
1:46 PM me: Well, I' m sure you could give them a few pointers - another industry event this week with the salmonella and tomato issue... What are you working on for The Packer, and what's the latest on Pamela's Kitchen?
1:47 PM pwremo: For The Packer, I'm finishing up our Foodservice Special Report and a retail story about Sunflower Farmers Market coming to my home town -- Austin. I think it's pretty big that the founders of Wild Oats are dropping right in John Mackey's back yard.
1:48 PM For Pamela's Kitchen, I'm trying out those "Green Bags" that say they absorb ethylene from produce and keep it from going bad.
My 1-week trial showed mixed results. It should be pretty interesting.
1:49 PM me: Pamela's laboratory, perhaps. That's pretty ambitious. And I know you attended CPMA - did you enjoy that convention and Calgary?
1:50 PM pwremo: I love CPMA. They have a style all their own north of the border. It's such a fun and intimate show and the bag pipers and singing emcee -- it's perfect! I always try to get to that show and have managed to swindle my way into it every year. Calgary was a beautiful city but didn't have enough Tim Horton's
1:53 PM me: Yes Tim Horton's - the Starbuck/Dunkin Donuts of Canada. I really like CPMA as well...Now your upcoming travel may be limited right - are you looking forward to the "big day"?
1:54 PM pwremo: Of course! My pregnant lady travels so far have been a little crazy -- first to Mexico and then to Canada. I'm looking forward to a little more time at home before Baby Riemenschneider gets here.
The produce industry can be proud of my cravings so far. I've personally kept the citrus industry afloat with my yen for lemons.
1:55 PM me: That will be exciting . Congratulations...Lemons? No ice cream? Well, I know you'll keep us posted. Are you going to be surprised or will you find out boy or girl?
1:56 PM pwremo: Peaches (Texas is in season right now and delicious) Watermelon, Lemons, Oranges, Grapefruit, tomatoes... all of those but not so much on the ice cream.
We're impatient -- so we know it's a boy.
1:58 PM me: We are excited for you - good luck and we will catch up you down the road for another chat. Take care.
pwremo: you, too!

Labels: , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home