Fresh Produce Discussion Blog

Created by The Packer's National Editor Tom Karst

Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Food logic - what to do about food prices

Here in Washington D.C., I am headed today to the Consumer Federation of America's meeting on food policy. The 9:30 am speaker wil be Robert Zoellick, chief executive of the World Bank. There are several workshop panels and the 11:45 am panel includes Kathy Means of the Produce Marketing Association. The name of that panel is "How consumers and the food industry are dealing with the reality of higher food prices."

This conference features plenty of "pushback" on the use of corn as a source of ethanol. For example, one panel is titled, "How do we go beyond the use of a basic foodstuff for fuel?"

While I had a little time last night, I hopped on the metro and went to the Pentagon, in hopes of seeing the Memorial to victims of the 9/11 attack. The site was closed in preparation for an event on Thursday, but I climbed up a set of stairs and took a picture of the sculpture that stands near the crash site.

As I walking back to the Metro, an officer stopped me and asked me if I was aware that pictures are not allowed on the Pentagon reservation. I said I had merely taken a couple of pics of the sculpture, not the Pentagon.

Long story short, after the police officer talked to headquarters to see if I had any outstanding warrants on me, I was free to go. Word to the wise: no pictures at the Pentagon, please.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home