Fresh Produce Discussion Blog

Created by The Packer's National Editor Tom Karst

Friday, November 21, 2008

Food for thought v. Perishable thought

I must say that I have enjoyed a recent "Google Gadget" addition to Fresh Talk called "Food for thought."

I realize some may think I am attempting to mimic the "Perishable thought of the day" (by the way, why not "imperishable thought of the day"?). I've enjoyed what Jim has done with that feature, though I think he overthinks some of the submissions (note his recent over-the- top research into the source of a submitted Lincoln quote)

"Food for thought" is much less ponderous and weighed down by unneeded comment . It is simply there, perhaps penetrating our consciousness, and ultimately asking us to give our internal assent. Consider these for today:


"We can forgive you for killing our sons. But we will never forgive you for making us kill yours."
- Golda Meir, to Anwar Saddat just before the peace talks


"The petty economies of the rich are just as amazing as the silly extravagances of the poor."
- William Feather


TK: In a nod to my decidedly sparse life outside of produce, this is what is on my bookshelf the last couple of weeks:
Nickel and dimed (On not getting by in America) - Barbara Ehrenreich
What's so great about Christianity - Dinesh D'Souza
I am America and so can you - Stephen Colbert

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home