Fresh Produce Discussion Blog

Created by The Packer's National Editor Tom Karst

Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Chat - Kevin Moffitt





The Packer’s National Editor Tom Karst on Feb. 19 had a chat with Kevin Moffitt, president and chief executive officer of the Pear Bureau Northwest, Milwaukie, Ore.

1:02 PM Tom Karst: Kevin, thanks for taking time for another Fresh Talk chat. I'd like to start the q and a with a question about where you grew up - have you always called the Northwest home?

1:04 PM Kevin Moffitt: Yes, I am a Portland native and both of my grandmothers were born in the PNW. However, I have also lived in Philadelphia, New Jersey the San Francisco Bay area and Seattle throughout my produce career.

1:05 PM Tom Karst: Interesting…did you have an idea early on what you wanted to do? Where did you go to college and get your first break in the produce industry?

1:10 PM Kevin Moffitt: I graduated from the business school at University of Oregon with a BS in business management. I never considered the produce industry as a career path until a college friend of mine began working at Dole in San Francisco as a banana ripening technician. It sounded interesting with a lot of travel and he helped me line up an interview. I was hired in January of 1981 as a technical services rep based in Dole's HQ in San Francisco. Mike Cavallero was my first boss and mentor. So here I am 20 some years later still in the business but working back in my home town.

1:12 PM Tom Karst: Isn't it a wonder how beginnings happen... what were some things you learned from Mike and how would you describe yourself as a manager of people?

1:21 PM Kevin Moffitt: Mike instilled in me the importance of follow up, honesty and hard work. All important traits, good to learn early in the career as they help guide you through life and career. As for a manager of people, in my current job at the Pear Bureau, I am certainly utilizing my degree. However managing people is the most challenging aspect of my job. I consider myself a big picture manager giving people the vision, mission and tools for them to do their assigned tasks. However there is a lot of detail involved as well to keep things running smoothly. I have learned the importance of face time with employees.

1:23 PM Tom Karst: I know you have traveled a bunch with your job and relating to international marketing duties; is it fun to see grower/marketers travel to export markets and buyers in other countries come to the U.S.? What do like about the road and what 's tough about those long trips?

1:32 PM Kevin Moffitt: Yes, I have had travel related positions throughout my career. I still enjoy seeing new countries and cultures (India was my newest). We have the privilege of working with 16 different overseas offices which smoothes the way when traveling, leads to solid contacts and helps in developing a real understanding of the culture. It is always interesting to introduce both our grower/shippers to new markets as well as hosting buyers from another country. One sees things through new and different eyes. The toughest part of the road these days is often the journey getting to where you are going. Flights and airports are not so fun these days and sitting in a plane for 8 to 12 hours is tough. But it always makes me appreciate the US, the PNW and my own home.

1:34 PM Tom Karst: So true - the trip back home is always the best. I've kept you quite a while, and thanks for your time. One more question for you..What are the top two or three things pear growers/markers are concerned about and what makes you optimistic for their future?

1:43 PM Kevin Moffitt: Like most farmers today, labor and rising input costs are two major areas of concern. Another big one is the increase in the numerous regulations and measurement schemes. We would certainly hope that or two would emerge as adequate to mollify all retailers and importing countries. As for optimism, pear consumption is and grower returns have been staying ahead of costs. The world economy is a worry but pears are popular and a growing category so there is room for optimism. Our initiatives in getting riper and better tasting fruit into the hands of the consumer will help keep customers loyal and coming back during these tough times. I am certainly optimistic about the long term future for the pear industry.

1:44 PM Tom Karst: Excellent. Kevin. Thanks again for you time.

1:45 PM Kevin Moffitt: Thank you Tom.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home