Fresh Produce Discussion Blog

Created by The Packer's National Editor Tom Karst

Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Chat - Melissa McDill





Melissa McDill, president of McDill Associates, a California marketing firm specializing in trade and consumer support of produce brands, took time for a Fresh Talk chat on Feb. 27.


12:04 PM McDill: hi there!
me: Hi Melissa. Thanks for taking time for another Fresh Talk chat.
12:05 PM McDill: Thank you, Tom
me: Melissa, when did you know you wanted to be involved with marketing and communications? What was your previous and work and background before you started your own agency in 1976?

12:06 PM McDill: I started my agency a year after I finished college at the California College of Arts, majoring in graphics
12:07 PM I started out in the field by working for a very talented designer who guided me my first year. I didn't really know any better so I just started my own agency. I fell into it. Based on my location in the Monterey Bay Area there was limited opportunities to work for an existing agency.
12:08 PM I also worked as a creative arm for other agencies out of the Bay Area -- that's how I started working in the food category
12:09 PM me: That was quite a step. Who was your first produce client and how would you describe your connection to the industry?
McDill: My first connection to the industry was working for the CA Strawberry Commission through another agency
12:10 PM I grew up in Salinas, both my father and grandfather were produce brokers. Many of my classmates were working in the industry so I had a lot of contacts from that history.
12:11 PM Through my work with the CSC (doing POS and trade availability information) I started to work with Driscoll's
12:12 PM me: Definitely some connections ot draw on in Salinas. What are two or three of your most memorable or significant campaigns over the years? What is your goal for your clients?
12:15 PM McDill: Most memorable campaigns: 1) the development and launch of Cool Cuts for Tanimura & Antle which established the opportunity to market products specifically for kids in the produce department, 2) the launch program for Carrot Chips (for Grimmway Farms) through a promotion with the Major League Baseball Player Alumni Assoc. This was a hugely successful promotion culminating at the PMA in Atlanta. 3) The Iceless Leader campaign for NewStar Fresh. This was memorable because we helped them define a position in the market that was already in place -- but not owned by anyone.
12:16 PM The goal for our clients is always return on investment. Not just marketing and creativity but results. We call it marketscaping.
12:17 PM We look at marketing in a different way -- marketscaping is really taking a close look at the terrain, all influences, the current market conditions, trends, the consumer's needs, what the retailers are looking for... All of this is paired with realistic objectives for the company, and we define a program from there.
me: Interesting... I have a tough question for you. We are in the midst, I would say, of a historic recession. How has the economic environment affected views about advertising and marketing campaigns? What are the arguments that speak to continuing promotion/marketing activity in the midst of a broader slowdown in the economy?

6 minutes
12:24 PM McDill: Good question. The economic situation has definitely affected how clients view and value marketing. They want to be assured that we can produce results from our work. Companies should not completely stop marketing they need to market more effectively. The messages they put out into the market needs to show value to the consumer and retailer while also touching on current trends: eating at home, showing operational/cost efficiencies, sustainability, traceability, and product value. We're advising our clients to take a hard look at how they position their products in regards to these areas. It's expected that your products deliver quality and service -- you have to deliver on that just to be a player but also prove it. There needs to be evidence that you are growing, supporting and owning your category and reaching consumers with appropriate messages.
12:25 PM me: The market place is always changing, and your analysis certainly makes sense. How do you think the industry and your company will change in five years? Do you think produce brands will be more or less important then?

8 minutes
12:34 PM McDill: Our company (and the industry) will need to continually adapt to this economic situation and the market needs. We will all need to be increasingly concise and targeted in our outreach efforts. The fact is that the produce industry is by far and away the most innovative in the grocery store but it's not generally known as a branded area of the store. It's tough to say what will happen with produce brands because in most cases, consumers don't get to make "brand" choices, they get to make product choices. Retailers will only support branded produce that sets itself apart and delivers on the topics we mentioned (value, sustainability, etc) while still offering profitability. Product innovation will continue to be key in establishing and building on brands/
12:36 PM Private label is also a factor.
me: Great insights. I've kept you quite a while. Thanks for taking the time to chat, and where would you direct readers who would like more information on your company?
12:37 PM McDill: Thanks for chatting with me, Tom. You can learn more about McDill at www.McDill.com. Soon we'll be launching a new site so check back.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home