Fresh Produce Discussion Blog

Created by The Packer's National Editor Tom Karst

Thursday, March 4, 2010

Looking Back Before Moving On - Calgary Herald

Looking Back Before Moving On - Calgary Herald

Some of the most important lessons I've learned

By Michelle Magnan, Calgary HeraldMarch 4, 2010 3:03 AM



For three years, I've been writing about health and fitness. And I've adored every second of it. But I'm about to leave the Calgary Herald to tackle another great opportunity. Seeing as this will be my second-last health story -my article about springtime skin care will run next Thursday -I thought it would be a good time to reflect on what I've learned over the last three years. So, without further ado, here are six of the most memorable lessons that will always stick with me:

---

1. After interviewing countless dietitians, nutritionists and health experts, I've come to realize there are certain things we should all consume more of: water, fibre, omega-3 essential fatty acids, vegetables, fruits, whole grains and legumes. Something we should consume less of? Alcohol. Which is why, in the fall of 2007, I gave up booze for eight weeks and wrote about the experience in the Real Life section. The trigger was a series of studies that reported on alcohol's negative effects, in particular a World Cancer Research Fund study that said alcohol is a cause of many cancers and, in an ideal world, we'd all avoid the stuff. I was happy with the results. I felt good, spent less money and was forced to explore other ways to be social with friends, because, the truth is, Calgarians like to drink. And readers had a lot to say about my experiment -- I have never received so much feedback on a story. People wrote me e-mails to agree that, when it comes to socializing, we rely too much on drinking and too little on healthier activities. I'm pleased to report that ever since that eight-week stint, I've scaled back on drinking outings with friends. I do enjoy wine and don't see that changing, but my overall consumption is down -- and that's a good thing.

2. One of the easiest ways to be healthier when you eat out at a sit-down restaurant is to ask for no added salt. I learned this trick from Sam Graci, creator of the Greens+ products, when we had lunch at River Cafe. Asking for no salt, something the majority of North Americans get far too much of in their daily diets, was a simple request -and one that I felt could become a habit, no problem. And if you're wondering, our salmon entrees and veggies still tasted great without it.

3. To run up a hill, shorten your stride and avoid landing on your heel. Instead, land mid-foot or toward the toes. That piece of advice came from Scott Gilbert, a Calgary-area manager for The Running Room. And it has changed my running life. No longer do I dread tackling hills; now, I power up them better than ever before. Thanks, Scott.

4. To keep a relationship healthy, strive to maintain two things: mutual respect and shared daily routines. When I interviewed four happy couples for a Valentine's Day story a couple of years ago, those were the two insights that emerged as the common theme -- no matter my interviewees' ages or how long they'd been together. They all said that having a deep respect for your partner is critical, as is doing something together, day in and day out, whether it be eating breakfast and reading the paper or having a bath at the end of the day.

5. Vegetables can -and should -be consumed at any hour of the day. John Berardi, a man with a PhD in exercise and nutritional biochemistry, once told me he eats 15 servings of fruits and vegetables a day, which is over and above Health Canada's recommendation that we all eat seven to 10 servings a day. To squeeze them all in, he often kicks his day off with eggs and a big green salad. For a while, I did that too. Though my morning salads have since dwindled, I do make an effort to eat a fruit or veggie at every meal and snack. Also, based on the advice of a few dietitians I've interviewed over the years, I try to eat more veggies than fruits, as they contain fewer calories but are still packed with nutrition.

6. The magic health bullet? It exists. And it's called nutrition and exercise. Eat well and move lots and you'll lower your risk of disease, and improve your overall health, your mood and, ultimately, your life. Forget detoxes, dieting and all of the other fast fixes we've heard about over the years. Experts agree that there is no magical way to shed pounds or improve your overall health -- other than eating healthily and exercising regularly. The bottom line is those are the two most important habits I will aim to keep alive, long after my last health story has gone to print.
© Copyright (c) The Calgary Herald

Read more: http://www.calgaryherald.com/health/Looking+Back+Before+Moving/2639980/story.html#ixzz0hCeB3YBh

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home