Fresh Produce Discussion Blog

Created by The Packer's National Editor Tom Karst

Wednesday, June 27, 2007

If the unthinkable occurs

In response to an earlier post about USDA preparedness for the Avian Influenza, I received an email from a representative of www.pandemic101.com. The company has preparedness kits for both families and corporations.
I'm sure there other companies out there doing the same thing, but they may be voices in the wilderness. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I bet very few, if any, produce suppliers and retailers have invested in preparedness for a pandemic scenario. Today there is much angst - and deservedly so - for a foodborne illness outbreak that may sicken 200 and kill two. Imagine what would happen if history were to repeat. The Spanish flu of 1918-1919 infected 20% of the world, and ten times more Americans died of influenza than were killed in World War I.

TK: Perhaps the world can continue to avoid another massive pandemic, for that is the only future we have prepared for.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home