Fresh Produce Discussion Blog

Created by The Packer's National Editor Tom Karst

Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Chat - David Mitchell

I just posted a brief "chat" interview with David Mitchell, senior writer for The Packer. David brings a lot of journalism skills with him, including extensive work as a sports writer - something I have to say I envy. I managed to get a dig in at his Kansas Jayhawks, but he was above the fray and ignored my cheap shot. As if a K-State fan has room to talk....
11:03 AM me: Great - here we go - David Mitchell, senior writer for The Packer, where is your "hometown"?

5 minutes
11:09 AM david.edward.mitchell: I grew up in DeSoto, Kan., but my parents moved back to Hutchinson, Kan. -- their hometown -- while I was in college. I worked for the daily newspaper there for about five years when I was in my 20s. It was a nice set up. I was a mile from my parents, two miles from work and not far from my grandparents' house. I was a sportswriter back then, and I was minutes from the community college and the local high school. In an odd twist, my wife and I live in Shawnee, but we're in the DeSoto school district.
11:10 AM me: What do you think prompted your interest in journalism?
11:13 AM david.edward.mitchell: English was one of my better subjects in high school, and my sophomore English teacher -- who also was the journalism teacher -- encouraged me to take the newspaper class. So I guess it's her fault. I worked on the school paper during my junior and senior years and then studied journalism at the University of Kansas.
11:14 AM me: Well - you went into sports journalism - something I never did but always was fascinated with. What are the highs and lows of covering sports?

6 minutes
11:21 AM david.edward.mitchell: It was a fun job for a young, single guy. I got to cover two college bowl games, five or six NCAA Tournaments -- including two Final Fours -- a U.S. Open, the NBA Draft and some other interesting events. I've covered games in at least 20 states and have been to some places fun places like Hawaii, Vegas and New Orleans. The drawback is that sports writing, like a lot of journalism jobs, doesn't pay very well unless you're with a really big publication. The hours and travel are a real killer, too. The job I have now is a lot better, in terms of hours and travel, considering I have a wife and daughter. I can't even tell you how many birthdays, weddings, funerals, etc. I missed when I was covering sports.
11:22 AM me: At least now you don't have to write a story about KU losing in the tournament every year - ouch
11:23 AM david.edward.mitchell: Did I mention the two Final Fours? I'm not sure what to expect out of this year's Jayhawks. They have a nice looking record, but they seem to be having some trouble on the road of late. The loss at Okie State was disturbing. The Pokes aren't that good.
11:24 AM me: I'm sorry - I
11:25 AM I should say I don't have room to talk, being a KSU fan - they may not make it in this year at the rate they are going.... Leaving the sports world, what have been some highlights of produce journalism so far - any surprises?
11:28 AM david.edward.mitchell: This is the fourth newspaper I've worked at, and I have to say the working environment here is a lot better than in daily newspapers. It's a more postive experience. I think that's true of the industry in general. There are a lot of really friendly, helpful people like Roger Pepperl, Karin Gardner, Bryan Silbermann ... I could make you a very long list.
11:30 AM me: David, it has been good to have this brief chat. I could quiz you some more about the f/v industry advisory committee meeting that you covered recently but I fear I have already use enough of your time. Thanks for your help and we'll do it again sometime...
11:31 AM david.edward.mitchell: No problem. Thanks, Tom.

Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

At February 26, 2008 at 3:48:00 PM CST , Blogger Big Apple said...

Interesting chat. Read all of them. Don't they call the U of Mo, Old Mo?

 
At February 26, 2008 at 4:14:00 PM CST , Blogger Tom Karst said...

Big Apple, I'd love to do a chat with one the big wheels of the discussion group - let me know if you are available....

Tom K

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home