Fresh Produce Discussion Blog

Created by The Packer's National Editor Tom Karst

Thursday, February 28, 2008

Chat - Ksenia Evdokimova



Ksenia Evdokimova, resident of St. Petersburg, Russia, and working with the agricultural trade office at the U.S. Consulate General in that city, was a big help in setting up my agenda in my recent travels to Russia. I had the chance to have a brief chat with her today, and you can find it here. Among other topics, Ksenia reflects about a year as an exchange student in California and some observations that might be useful for U.S. exporters considering a visit to Russia.


1:02 PM me: Hello Ksenia!

1:03 PM ksenia.evdokimova: Good evening, Tom!
me: Thanks for taking part in this "chat" for Fresh Talk readers.
1:06 PM Ksenia, you were a big help to me when I traveled to Russia, helping set up interviews with importers. How did you become connected with the USDA FAS and the world for produce importing and exporting?
ksenia.evdokimova: First of all, Tom, I would like to express my thank you to you for taking the risk and coming to Russia in February!
1:09 PM I have been with FAS for over 3 years now. Getting connected with FAS was a result of several circumstances, like Rotary exchange in California and studies at economic faculty of the university. It has been great so far!
1:10 PM me: It was no problem to come to St. Petersburg - the weather wasn't as bad as advertised ...You bring up California. You mentioned to me that you were an exchange student in California during high school years. Did you enjoy that experience?
1:12 PM ksenia.evdokimova: Rotary is a truly great club and one of the programs they have is that student exchange tat gives youngsters of 16-18 dive into American culture for half a year or even a year. I got in a terrific family from Palo Alto and managed to graduate from high school. I enjoyed and miss it still
1:13 PM me: I have a hard question for you - what did you miss about Russia while you were in the U.S. and what do you miss about your experience in the U.S. now?
1:19 PM ksenia.evdokimova: Of course, while in US I missed my family. And when I talk about real Russian family it is a family behind a table with a soup, salad, main course and more. Also, what is typical for Russians is their summerhouse 'dacha". That place is very important for us. It is traditional to grow your own greenery, vegetables and fruits. It is cultural and I love it. Upon return to Russia, I started to consider US as my second motherland. I missed the spirit of independence, for instance, a pupil can stand up during the class and debate with a teacher if he wishes to and has another opinion. Also, it is typical for younger people to work part-time. All these things were not possible in Russia a few years ago. However, now it seems to be getting closer.. Also, I missed the huge shopping malls that you have in America. Luckily, now Russia is in the middle of retail boom and we have a choice where to spend an hour...or 5 hours.
1:21 PM me: Very true. I was impressed with the amout of retail - and upscale retail in Moscow and St. Petersburg ... If you had words of advice to U.S. exporters who want to make a trip to Russia, what would you tell them (other than avoid February)?


9 minutes
1:31 PM ksenia.evdokimova: I would simply tell them 'YOU SHOULD COME AND SEE and you might get really pleasantly surprised'. So, come to Moscow for 2 days, explore the chains of supermarkets that are successfully selling airfreight California table grapes in July at price of $30 a kilo, NZ cherries in February for $80 a kilo. Feel the crazy tempo of this expensive and booming city and then take a 5 hour train to the Northern capital of Russia and capital of fruit business St.Petersburg. Spend 2 days at meeting importers. These are special people. They have turned Russia into #1 market of the World in imported quantities of apples and pears in several years of rapid market growth. Meet them, they are interested in the US product nowadays. And on Saturday and Sunday enjoy the Hermitage, walk the channels of the city and absorb the culture of this unique city. You will have partners and friends after this trip and you will be back, I guarantee ;)
1:32 PM me: Ksenia - you are very generous with your time, as always - one last question. Can you tell readers about your new job yet?
1:34 PM ksenia.evdokimova: My new job s my Austrian husband, but I have a second passion and that is US fruits, so we shall see what comes out of this combination. Thanks for your time and best of luck exploring the Russian market. It is worth it!
1:35 PM me: Thanks and promise you will do another "chat" sometime soon!

Labels: , ,

1 Comments:

At February 28, 2008 at 5:29:00 PM CST , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hmmm, interesting, Tom. Hoe long was that chat you say?

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home