Fresh Produce Discussion Blog

Created by The Packer's National Editor Tom Karst

Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Coming on

Had some visits today with David Gombas of United, Michelle Smith of FDA and sat in on a little bit of a labor hearing, where Reggie Brown of the Florida Tomato Committee was testifying. I missed the farm bill conference hearing, but I've heard that not a lot happened.

From a Capitol Hill staffer, I heard there there will be a Putnam-Cardoza produce safety bill introduced in the not too distant future.

Will the WIC food packages be reopened? Juice and fresh potato interests (United also favors including potatoes) wants to revise the packages, and others want to gain back the $2 per month lost in rulemaking. I have an interview with John Keeling on Thursday and I'm sure the topic will come up....

Tomorrow I'll spend some time at the USDA and try to catch some more or the farm bill conference.

What - or more accurately, where - is the future venue of United's shows? Haven't seen Tom Stenzel this week to ask him, and no one else on United staff is spilling the beans. When I see Tom, I'll see if he has any news....

Labels: , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home