Fresh Produce Discussion Blog

Created by The Packer's National Editor Tom Karst

Wednesday, April 2, 2008

Guess not

The truckers' strike was a dud, says this story from Ala. From the piece in the Tuscaloosa News:

Inside the TA Truckstop off Interstate 20/59 in Tuscaloosa, Lorenzo Thaniel was heating up a ready-made cup of rice and vegetables for lunch.'I would stop, but ain't nobody stopped,' said the Baltimore, Md., native. 'I can't do it by myself.'Thaniel was on his way home and didn't want to idle Tuesday, but he said something needs to be done about skyrocketing fuel prices.Cline,

A typical delivery will pull in $1.60 a mile, but after he pays for fuel and the driver, Cline said, about 30 cents is left to cover vehicle insurance, maintenance and any hoped-for profit.'I made more money in the 1970s than I do now,' he said. 'We're out there working for basically nothing.'

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home