Fresh Produce Discussion Blog

Created by The Packer's National Editor Tom Karst

Wednesday, January 17, 2007

Rubber band demand

Just how determined are consumers to buy oranges? One quoted in this story says she won't be deterred, even if retails climb to $3.99 per pound.
From the story:

"Wow. Four dollars a pound," Vicari said. "Well, I would still buy them for her. I'm just not going to cut back on fresh fruits and vegetables."


I was visiting with Don Harris of Wild Oats today and he was saying that previous freezes may be instructive, but no two are exactly the same. Retail and consumer behavior may swing from panic buying to looking at other options.

But if I were a California orange grower, I would love the fact that my consumer wants to keep my product on the shopping list at $3.99 per pound.


The USDA reported a $32 per carton f.o.b. on first grade 72s today, the same as yesterday but up from $11-14 per carton on Jan. 12. Prices at the same time a year ago -- $9-12 per carton.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home