Fresh Produce Discussion Blog

Created by The Packer's National Editor Tom Karst

Thursday, April 3, 2008

A rant against shopper cards

I was looking through my overstuffed inbox and happened upon a Google alert that linked to a great (great=angry) blog rant about shopper cards. From Georgia Gould "I don't want a Safeway card"

From the blog:

If there is one thing I really can't stand, it's getting the hard sell for membership cards. Barnes and Noble is the worst, although the guy at Safeway last night was a close second. I was buying one thing: a bottle of ketchup. This is how it went:
"Do you have a Safeway card?"
"No."
"Would you like to sign up? It will save you money today."
"No thanks."
"Are you sure?"
"Yes, I am sure."
"Are you staying with any friends or do you know anyone who has a Safeway card?"
"No, it's really ok."
"Allright....Well, you would have saved .89 today."

Was he joking? 89 cents? I would pay five extra dollars just to not get hassled about signing up for a stupid Safeway card. Now I won't sign up for that stuff just on principle (and because you can see them get visibly irritated that you aren't motivated by the prospect of saving 89 cents). It's getting out of hand out there..

Readers agreed:

Jeff said:
Georgia ... I totally hear you. Albertsons does the same thing and I stop in a local markets just to avoid just the thing you described here.


Bill said:
Actually, the Safeway Card is the key to unlocking the universe...
Or at least the employees believe so.



TK: Is it a loyalty card if you have to have three or four to patronize merchants in your town? Surely there is someone, though, who will stand up for the "shopper card"?

Labels:

2 Comments:

At April 3, 2008 at 4:35:00 PM CDT , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think we need some females offering comment here... guys just don't get into that stuff and I know I don't want some Jewel or Dominick's keychain fob. But as more and more budget get squeezed, savings will become more important; at least to our wives. The boys, heck we'd skip an oil change so we don't have to give up our bowling drinking fund!!!

 
At April 3, 2008 at 8:49:00 PM CDT , Blogger Pamela said...

As a female, I thought I'd chime in. I hate shopper cards and never use them more than once. If I'm buying a bunch of stuff at a store and I'll get more than a dollar off what I'm buying (Hen House in Kansas City frequently has good deals...) I'll sign up that day and then throw the card away.

I sign up again if there's another good deal.

I think this mostly comes from me not wanting a bunch of junk on my keychain.

Those things always get all sticky and gross.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home